Friday, August 13, 2010

Rodeo & Riding in Montana



Montana has become one of our favorite places to spend the summer. This year we did something new and went to a Kids Rodeo in Ronan and it was soooo much fun. It started with Kids Sheep Riding where Bubby rode a sheep. Then Sara and all the other little cousins had a stick horse race in the arena. Carlee, Chesnee and Preslee worked as a team to dress a sheep. It was cute to watch them, they were the smallest team and the sheep were so rowdy and bigger than I thought. It looked really hard, I don't think I could of wrangled one myself. Then they unleashed a heard of cows into the arena with $5 bills tied onto their tails and ears. All the cousins ages 8-11 chased those cows and around and around, I think Taevin was the only one with any luck. It looked dangerous, whick is exactly why they had so much fun doing it. Us moms also had a chance to participate by trying to capture our little ones dressed in matching t-shirts and caps. They gave the kids candy and told them to run away from their moms. Sara was hard to catch as I new she would, so I told her just to run back to me and I wouldn't take her candy, but she didn't and I had to chase her around the dusty, dirty arena in my new steve madden sandals. The next activity was the chicken scramble. I was not prepared for what happen next. They backed up a trailer and let out chickens for the kids to chase and try to catch. Chaos, kids and chickens running everywhere. Next thing I new Sara was running around carrying a big black hen. Then Hadlee, then Thatcher and then Barrett caught a rooster. The announcer said if you catch it you take it home. Surprise grandma! We are bring home 4 chickens. The last event was the pig scramble, 2 greased pigs and tons of kids. Those poor little pigs squealed so loud it was kind of brutal. Quinn got close but no prize.








This darn rooster got out of the box on the way home to grandmas house in Polson. Barrett named him Bob, it was all fun and the kids enjoyed housing the chickens in Sadies (grandpas dog) dog kennel. Then somewhere around 4 am the cockle-dooodling started. Aghhhh!!! It went on for the rest of the morning and thoughout the day. Barrett was heart broken every time we talked about cooking him up for dinner or feeding him to the coyotes. Grandpa suggested that we take him to an abandoned barn a few miles away where he knew a few other loud roosters lived. It was next to a corn bin and old home, so he would have food and shelter. We discovered that there were 4 other roosters living there and knew, Bob would be fine with his friends. Barrett and Grandpa checked on him a few days later and he was doing fine.



I love the beauty and strength of horses and wasn't gonna leave until I had a chance to go horseback riding. We found a ranch near the Bison Range, where Kate, Quinn, Grandma and I enjoyed a beautiful ride up the Mission Mountains and crossed over a rapid river. It was really peaceful and a great way to spend our last day in Montana!




Somebody Loves Me and Somebody Missed Me.